Archive - Feb 17, 2014
Gloria M. Bushey, 83, of 198 Shady Dr., Ridgway, died Monday morning, Feb. 17, 2014, at the Kane Community Hospital following a lengthy illness.
She was born Aug. 21, 1930, in Johnsonburg, daughter of the late Floyd F. and Jennie E. (Shaffer) Hunt.
She married Lewis Donald Bushey on June 3, 1953, and he survives.
She had resided in Ridgway since 1953 and was a former Johnsonburg resident. She was a member of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church and the Church Women's Group. She had been employed by Stackpole Carbon Co. for six years and by Brody's for three years.
Karl R. Bjorkquist, 60, of 302 Madison Ave., Ridgway, died unexpectedly Monday morning, Feb. 17, 2014 at Elk Regional Health Center.
He was born April 7, 1953 in Ridgway, son of the late Robert W. and Helen R. (Knouse) Bjorkquist. On Oct. 3, 1981, he married Theresa M. Caggeso who survives.
During their regular meeting held Monday evening, the Ridgway Borough Council approved the subdivision line for TREK Development's upcoming project along Montmorenci Road. The subdivision, located near Ridgmont, is set to be a 20-unit senior living village similar to the Laurelbrooke Landing facility located in Brookville.
Council approved the motion to subdivide the current property by a 6-to-1 vote.
ST. MARYS â€“ Senior point guard Cole Peterson did just about everything possible to bring another AML championship to Johnsonburg.
Peterson had a 3-point play, a 4-point play and a game-high 28 points to lead the Rams to a 59-41 victory over Elk County Catholic Saturday night in the boys AML Championship game held at St. Marys Area High School.
Complementing Peterson's 28 points was Cameron Grumley scoring 13 points for Johnsonburg.
KERSEY â€“ An early morning fire on Sunday significantly damaged a house at 204 Dagus Mines Rd. in Kersey.
Elk Company 3 (Fox Township) and Fox Township Ambulance were dispatched at 5:03 a.m. and Elk Company 1 (Crystal Fire Department) followed at 5:20 a.m.
According to Scott Surra, Fox Township fire chief, smoke was visible from the structure upon arrival and the homeowners said there was visible fire in the attic of the home.