Archive - Feb 29, 2012
ST. MARYS â€“ In a campaign stop in St. Marys this past Friday, Congressman Glenn Thompson, who is seeking re-election as representative for Pa.'s 5th District, spoke to supporters gathered at Gunner's Restaurant and asked for their vote.
Thompson also discussed at Friday's event the expansion of his voter base as the result of recent redistricting, or reapportionment, of the Congressional 5th district by the state's legislative leaders in the Pa. House and Senate. Redistricting takes place every 10 years following the outcome of the Census.
The Elk County Solid Waste Authority is set to recommend that the Elk County Commissioners approve parting ways with ECS&R, the company the county has contracted with since 2006 for universal and household hazardous waste (HHW) collections, after Veolia submitted a significantly lower bid for the same services.
According to Bekki Titchner, Elk County recycling/solid waste coordinator, the county stands to save around $5,000 by contracting with Veolia.
Veolia and ECS&R were the only two companies to submit bids for the services.
ST. MARYS â€“ With Lent under way and Easter quickly approaching, a group of residents from Elk Towers in St. Marys is looking to brighten the Easter season for residents at area nursing homes. The group, called The Easter Bunny and Friends, is comprised of Diane Groeger, who acts as Easter bunny and is president of the Residents' Association at Elk Towers; Kathy Oley, vice president of the Residents' Association; Judy Schaefer, secretary of the Residents' Association; Rosemary Gray; Bonnie Carnahan; Mary Hadden; and Mary Ann Mello.
ST. MARYS â€“ The Crystal Fire Department was called out at 5:50 p.m. Tuesday evening in response to a report of heavy smoke behind Shoe Sensation and House of TV Rentals at the Plaza on the Million Dollar Highway in St. Marys. Upon arrival, firefighters found a Dumpster fully engulfed. Employees and bystanders were containing the fire with buckets and a garden hose. The firefighters fully extinguished the fire and House of TV Rentals was ventilated to remove smoke.